Our journey begins

One of my favorite things about traveling is that it requires me to be present.  I get so caught up in my normal routines that I often forget to stop and notice the moments unfolding before me.  When I go through the motions of my daily life, I give my mind space to worry about the future, think about my shortcomings or think about things I should have done.    When I travel to somewhere new, or spend time in nature, or alter my routine in anyway it immediately brings me back to the present and those thoughts and worries fade away. 



Upon arriving to London, it was so fun to watch the boys being present as they noticed the differences that come with being in a new country and a new culture.  Though we were all exhausted from a red eye flight with little sleep, a flight delay in Iceland and jet lag from a 7 hour time difference, they immediately started calling out the little and big differences all around us.    One of the first things they noticed was that the Gattwick vending machine contained lots of new types of junk food.  Some looked similar to what they new, but had different names.  Brooks of course wanted to try them all.  




As we walked the streets of London, we noticed the different languages and accents being spoken in the bustling city and we paid close attention as we crossed the streets since cars came from the “wrong” direction.   As our summer goes on, the languages and cultures will become more unfamiliar and we will have plenty of opportunities to unfold.  I can’t wait to practice being present and soak it all in.  





 


Comments

  1. Following your family adventure!!! Remember to drink water!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making Waffles

The Beginning